Thursday, July 5, 2007

Two Quiche Week

This Tuesday I was drowning in greens--and that was before I picked up this week's CSA allotment. On the way home from work I picked up the puppy at daycare, then stopped at Carr's for milk and dinner. Walking through the dairy aisle I saw them: refridgerated pie crusts. Hmm. Anathema to this farmer's grandaughter, but perhaps a lifesaver. I could make quiche with all my greens!!!

So Wednesday I made my first quiche--which turned out to be more like a spinach pie. I took every green from Arctic Organics that their info sheets had told me I could treat like spinach, chopped it up, and mounded it in the pie crust, adapted a recipe from the Horn of the Moon cookbook for Spinach and Feta Quiche, and into the oven it went. Tasted good, if a little green-heavy.

Every Friday here at work is potluck lunch, and I didn't feel like going back to the grocery store. Since I still had greens--thanks to Tuesday's pick-up--and I had cheese, eggs, milk and the second pie crust from the packet, I decided my contribution would be quiche.

This time the green was kale. I micro-steamed it, layered it with mushrooms and cheese, and poured in the egg/milk mixture. Forty-five minutes later, it was beautiful. Sorry, no photos. Not that organized yet.

As I was assembling the quiche, I was thinking about what a great metaphor it was for my green philosophy--something like "be as green as you can be, one step at a time." Here's an ingredient list:

Pie Crust--storebought, not organic, not local
Kale--local, unofficially organic
Mushrooms--canned, storebought, not organic, not local
Monterey Jack cheese--"O" brand ("big" organic), not local
Milk--organic, not local
Buttermilk--not organic, not local
Spices--not organic, not local
Garlic--bottled, not organic, not local
Onion--dried, not organic, not local

No comments: